MCAP: A Case Study on the Benefits of Coaching
Coaching is the single-most powerful tool any organization can use to leverage its most expensive asset – its people. Implementing a comprehensive coaching system will ensure your organization can inspect, direct and elevate performance outcomes, including greater productivity, increased sales, improved quality and the most desirable customer experience levels.
MCAP, a privately held mortgage company, approached Orbit Group with a specific goal. They sought to make coaching a clear point of differentiation in their performance improvement strategy. The servicing division is the largest division in the company both in terms of the number of team members and profitability. Servicing improvements would therefore bring significant benefit to the company. Together, MCAP and Orbit Group built a high-performance culture that quickly became a critical advantage in the highly competitive financial services marketplace. By understanding their specific problems, we were able to exceed their expectations and help them deliver many consecutive quarters of better divisional financial performance and improving customer loyalty.
Working with the MCAP team, Orbit Group created a set of clearly defined goals.
- Improve the capability to measure, manage and grow to meet ever-increasing demands.
- Engage people to more effectively manage change and client priorities simultaneously.
- Improve sales expertise and deliver on commitments to dramatically increase revenues.
The first step was to define a coaching practice. In this case, Orbit Group’s Achieve 7™ performance coaching methodology was the foundation on which success would be built. It allowed MCAP to define performance and coaching expectations through a framework of discipline, engagement and accountability. Together, we created three distinct versions of conversation models – one each for sales & service, collections and coaching.
The senior leaders of the division went through the coaching program. It was then rolled out to all leaders. Once the method was engrained in leaders, the conversations programs were rolled out to the team members. A year into the program, MCAP began to use the Compas™ SaaS platform, Orbit Group’s proprietary performance feedback tool.
MCAP understood that long-term benefits relied on their ability to sustain a healthy coaching ecosystem. That meant putting in place the physical infrastructure needed to feed and maintain the coaching practice.
The path reinforced several keys to success:
- Buy-in at the top of the organization is a must.
- Challenge “naysayers” and allow positive examples to take hold.
- The largest component of the team leaders’ performance appraisal must be the performance improvement of their team members. Set targets aggressively. Allow for brief plateaus and then re-set aggressively. Be relentless in this cycle.
- True interactions per hour increased 5%.
- Call quality increased 6%.
- Interactions per loan decreased 22%
- Renewal rate increased 16%
- Mortgage Life Insurance sales increased 500%
- Average handling time decreased 9%
- Arrears decreased faster than CBA averages
- Eliminated 24% FTE within 6 months of the economic “bottom”
- The combination of Compas, the coaching program and the conversation programs is generating increased annual profits of more than $500K
The Company Today
MCAP is successfully uniting human practice with technology platforms. For the first time, MCAP has in place the controls needed to direct the focus of their people in an immediate and impactful way.
- Transparent performance results
- A line of sight into their coaching activities and committed goals
- Measurement of the impact of their coaching investment
MCAP, working with Orbit Group, has demonstrated the way to drive the fastest improvement to your clients’ experience and your bottom line. Coaching directs the focus of your employees to your priorities and helps them develop the knowledge and skills that allow them to be their best.